Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Portuguese Egg Tart Filling with Butter crust

Woke up slightly earlier than usual this Sunday morning, because a fresh cream milk I bought 2 weeks ago was going to overdue on today. I thought of baking the egg tarts since I got it in the freezer. Day by day but it’s really so hard to squeeze a little time out of the day to make it. A box of 200ml fresh milk cost 398 yen. It is better to have it in our stomach than contribute to the trash. The kids at home love egg tarts, as long as they liking it, I will love to bake for them too. The hands are so tight,  I got to steal the little time from the morning to make it happen.

After a while I heard someone walking up from the stair case. At first I thought is the Daddy, surprisingly was Ethan. 

Mummy : "Why don't you sleep little bit more?"
Ethan : "What are you doing?"
Mummy : "I going to make the egg tarts, you want to do it together?"
Ethan : "Yes, I want..."

Suddenly he looks so energetic. After we mixed all the ingredients, Ethan starts to complaint that he was so hungry and couldn't wait any longer. It gonna take at least another 30 minutes to get it ready to serve. Throughout this 30 minutes, he non-stop checking the oven. Then the rest woke up too. They were taking turn to check on the oven and complaining they couldn't wait any more.... I was so restless with all the voices. 
The moral of the day is, I got to wake up even more early if I would like to make the egg tarts during the Sunday without rushing to church and fill the hungry stomach early in the morning...







Tart Crust
Ingredient A:
120g butter
25g icing
1 egg yolk
1/2 egg white

Ingredient B:
250g low protein flour
3tbsp milk powder
A little vanilla essence

Filling
200g fresh cream
300g milk
80g sugar
3 eggs
3 egg yolks
1/4tsp vanilla essense
(For the excessive of filling, I store in the freezer for next usage.)

It isn't that difficult to make the egg tart, but it needs sometime to prepare the tart crust and observing it throughout the process . First mix the ingredients A together, then add in the ingredients B. Mix well either by hands or with mixer to form tart crust. I place around 25grams for a tart moulds, press to shape. Bake in the preheat over for 170c for 10minutes or till semi-cooked. 

For the filling, cook the fresh cream milk together with fresh milk until 70c (I didn't measure the temperature, but just use the lowest heat make sure it not boiled). Stir in icing sugar and cook until the sugar dissolves. Add it into the beaten eggs and egg yolks. Mix until well blended. Lastly add in the vanilla essence. For the smooth filling, I use the filtering net to filter the unbeaten egg whites. Set aside to cool. 

Finally pour the filling into the tarts then bake at 180c for 20-25minutes.

Phew.... やった! (yatta - did it!)



4 comments: